Doorstep Zoo Quiz #1 – British Birds
In the first Doorstep Zoo Quiz can you name the following 12 British birds…
1. A nice easy one to start with…
2. Can you identify this bird enjoying a bath?
3. This normally bird is normally seen on the trunks of trees. Seen here rooting around for insects on the ground.
4. One of the largest waterfowl in the UK
5. Member of the crow family connected to the composer Rossini
6. Stunning bird of prey with a distinctive forked tail
7. About the size of a blackbird you will find this bird totally at home on and in rivers and streams.
8. Often seen taking coy carp from garden ponds!
9. Another relatively shy bird that will make rare appearances to your bird table if you live near woodland
10. Male and female of the same type of duck
11. Colourful member of the crow family
12. The jewel of the riverbank
13. Largest of the crow family and associated with the Tower of London
14. This is the nest of the second smallest bird in Britain. Sometimes associated with the shortened girls name of Jennifer. Was the emblem on the reverse of the UK farthing for many years and makes this beautiful domed nest with a small entrance hole on the side from leaves, moss and cobweb.
15. Bald person sometimes referred to this bird
If you have a problem with squirrels helping themselves to your wild bird food perhaps it’s time to try out an anti squirrel bird feeder.
We look at 5 top rated feeders that keep the squirrels at bay and keep your feathered friends fed and happy. See the review here…
Answers: 1. Robin 2. Wood pigeon 3. Green woodpecker 4. Mute Swan 5. Magpie (Rossini wrote the opera ‘The Theivish Magpie”) 6. Red Kite 7. Dipper (Also known as a Water Ouzel) 8. Heron 9. Great Spotted Woodpecker 10. Mallard 11. Jay 12. Kingfisher 13. Raven 14. Wren (sometimes called a Jenny Wren) 15 Coot
All photographs copyright Rob Nesbitt 2017